Plant viruses are one of the major agents that are causing great losses to vegetables, field crops and fruit plants. Potato, cotton, chillies, tomatoes and cucurbits are major virus victims. To study various aspects of plant viral diseases and to develop strategy for the control and management of these diseases. Government of the Punjab initiated and established the Plant Virology Section during 1973. In 1984, Punjab Government added a small unit of tissue culture. Since the start of tissue culture unit, Plant Virology Section is engaged in the production of high-quality seed potato by using tissue culture techniques that ensure virus free seed stocks.
- To diagnose the plant viral diseases in economically important plants.
- Production of virus free pre basic seed potato through tissue culture technique.
- Identification of resistance sources in germplasm of different crops against different viral diseases under field conditions.
- Correlation of meteorological variables with potato viral diseases.
- Evaluation of bio pesticides and plant extracts against aphid vector and PVX, PVY and PLRV diseases management
- Effect of different phytohormones in meristem culture of potato.
- Insecticide resistance in aphid population on potato.
- Population dynamics of cotton whitefly (Bemisia tabaci) and CLCuV disease incidence on cotton varieties.
- Insecticide resistance in field population of cotton whitefly (Bemisia tabaci).