The fertility status of soils under cultivation is usually variable. It is affected by cultural practices like crop rotation, manuring, fertilizer application, irrigation and crop uptake of nutrients. Therefore, it is highly imperative to maintain fertility of soils at a level where nutrients are available to the growing plants in adequate quantities for realizing actual potential of different crops.
The intensive cropping has resulted in deficiencies of various nutrients in the soils and has become a limiting factor for plant growth and optimum yields. It necessitates that these deficiencies be diagnosed promptly through soil testing, tissue analysis and field experimentation and replenished timely for obtaining optimum crop yields. Simple fertilizer experimentation on farmers` fields is a well-established technique for diagnosing nutrient deficiencies in the soil and determining fertilizer needs of crops. In principle, this technique involves conducting trials on farmers` fields under varying agro-ecological conditions. This practice although is time consuming but remains the most reliable method of diagnosing nutrient deficiencies and finding out the fertilizer requirements of different crops.
To workout response of crops under different agro-ecological zones and formulation of economic optimum fertilizer recommendations. To reduce the risk of malnutrition in children from the deficiency of Zn and Fe, enhancement of micronutrient content in wheat rice and maize through biofortification experiments. To maximize the yield of high value crops.
- To Monitor the fertility status of soils under different cropping systems and indexation of nutrients
- To workout response of crops under different agro-ecological zones and formulation of economic optimum fertilizer recommendation
- To appraise the best fertilizer combination according to the prevailing practice of tunnels growers
- To find out the best time and method of fertilizer application.
- To evaluate the comparative Agronomic Efficiency of different nutrient sources
- To find out the micronutrients requirements of different crops
- Nutritional studies on macro and micro elements.
- On-Farm research on various crops for their nutrient requirements and development of fertilizer recommendation for different cropping system.
- Improving Fertilizer Use Efficiency (FUE) to arrest losses and protect environment.