The economy of Pakistan is agro-based and is, therefore, dependent on the fertility of her soils. Soils deliver our basic needs of food, shelter and play a pivotal role in determining the quality of our environment and thus are crucially important in national development issues such as food security, poverty alleviation and environment preservation. The continuous mining of plants food nutrients by plants depleted the fertility to a level where they could not nourish healthy plants. Soil and water offers a valuable contribution to more intelligent management of the soils. The competent use of these tests can help prevent crop failure due to inadequate / excessive fertilizer ingredients. It is, therefore felt that soil advisory service must be established in the province where farmers could get for-hand evaluation of the fertility status of their soils. Accordingly, the Soil & Water Testing Laboratory, Rahim Yar Khan under “Soil Fertility Organization” was entrusted with this responsibility in the-year 1981.
The soil is a dynamic system. It is subjected to various changes brought about weathering agencies, cultural operations and other biological factors. The knowledge of nutrient status of the soil is essential to assess the fertilizers requirement. Our mission is to provide a guideline to rationalize the use of fertilizers after analysing soil and water samples and helps in avoiding the wasteful expenditure. This laboratory also provides a regular check on the interaction and salt balance in the soil brought about by the use of sub-standard irrigation waters.
The main objectives of the Laboratory are;
- To assess the fertility status of different soils through suitable field and soil tests.
- To formulate fertilizer recommendations for variety of crops grown under varying soil-climatic-management conditions.
- To popularize the balanced use of fertilizer amongst the farmers.
- Site specific fertilizer/amendments recommendations
- Reclamation of problem soils
- Monitoring quality inputs
- Accessing water quality and nutrient status for advisory services to farmers
Address: Opposite Veterinary Hospital, Model Town, Rahim Yar Khan