The Fertility of soil varies with the nature of cropping pattern and management practices. Therefore an assay of fertility status of soil is essential for better return of food and fiber crops. The diagnostic techniques for fertility evaluation include fertilizer trial, soil test, plant tissue, cell sap, and analysis. These laboratory tests of soil provide the most accurate information on supplies of different nutrients and changes affecting the nutrient availability and this forms basis for planning fertilizer programme and agronomic practices for crop production.
Soil and Water Testing Laboratory Muzaffargarh was established in 1981 and engaged in providing advisory services to farming community on fertilizer recommendation and problems of soil and water. Soils are becoming nutrient deficient by intensive cultivation and planting of high yielding varieties. Therefore, assessment of soil fertility is essential for food & fiber crops. Soil testing is a chemical / physical measure which includes fertilizer recommendations and reclamation of salt affected soils through proper management of suitable amendments.
Maintenance of the soil fertility status of the soils to get maximum crop yield by physico-chemical analysis of soil and water samples of the district.
- The objectives of the soil & water testing Laboratory are:-
- Evaluation of Soil Fertility status in the district and preparation of site specific fertilizer recommendations.
- Provision of advisory services on soil and water problems of the district.
- Popularization of the balanced use of fertilizer among farmers
- Diagnosis of salinity-sodicity hazards of soils and their reclamation to bring more area under cultivation.
- Feedback to Provincial Agriculture Department on all the above mentioned business through monthly & annual reports
- Site specific fertilizer/amendments recommendations.
- Reclamation of problem soils.
- Promotion of balance use of fertilizers
- Improving (FUE) and Productivity through (IPNS).
- Accessing water quality and nutrient status for advisory services to farmers.