The Soil Fertility Survey and Soil Testing Institute Lahore was established in the year 1968. This organization is entrusted with the responsibilities of soil and Water analysis and fertilizer trial are being conducted on farmers field to establish the nutrient requirements of particular crop under specific conditions. For this soil analysis and crop response to fertilizer are correlated and specific recommendations are then proposed. Realizing the difficulties of farming community and significance of soil test in agriculture, a scheme of Soil & Water Advisory Service in Punjab was commissioned on 26-02-1981. Under this scheme one Soil & Water Testing Laboratory was established in each district head quarter of the province.
Provision of advisory services / recommendations to the farming community for better agricultural production based upon soil and water analysis.
- To assess the fertility status of soils for recommending the optimal use of best suited fertilizer for crop production
- To suggest measures / amendments for reclamation of saline / sodic soils
- To analyze water suitability for irrigation purposes
- To carry out the research work or any other project activities assigned by the department
- Site specific fertilizer/amendments recommendations
- Reclamation of problem (Saline / Sodic) soils
- Assessment of water quality and nutrient status for advisory services to farmers
- To carry out the research work or any other project activities assigned by the department or competent authority