The economy of Pakistan is agro-based and is, therefore, dependent on the fertility of her soils. Soils deliver our basic needs of food, shelter and play a pivotal role in determining the quality of our environment and thus are crucially important in national development issues such as food security, poverty alleviation and environment preservation. The continuous mining of plants food nutrients by plants depleted the fertility to a level where they could not nourish healthy plants. Soil and water offer a valuable contribution to more intelligent management of the soils. The competent use of these tests can help prevent crop failure due to inadequate / excessive fertilizer ingredients. It is, therefore felt that soil advisory service must be established in the province where farmers could get for-hand evaluation of the fertility status of their soils. Accordingly, Soil and water testing laboratory at Bahawalnagar was established during the year, (1981-82) in three rooms of hostel buildings of the Government Comprehensive High School, Bahawalnagar. Later on، the laboratory was shifted in the office buildings of PAD&SC in July, 1983. Laboratory remained functioning in rented building up to the end of December 1989.Laboratory was shifted in new own Government Constructed buildings located at 3 K.M Haroonabad Road, Bahawalnagar. Since that time laboratory is independent in its working.
The soil is a dynamic system. It is subjected to various changes brought about weathering agencies, cultural operations and other biological factors. The knowledge of nutrient status of the soil is essential to assess the fertilizers requirement. Our mission is to provide a guideline to rationalize the use of fertilizers after analysing soil and water samples and helps in avoiding the wasteful expenditure. This laboratory also provides a regular check on the interaction and salt balance in the soil brought about by the use of sub-standard irrigation waters.
- To assess the fertility status of soil with the help of suitable laboratory techniques.
- To suggest the measures for the maintenance of soil fertility of farms by recommending the proper level of fertilizers and agrochemicals through soil testing advisory services.
- To recommend the technology for amelioration of salinity and sodicity menace by the use of amendments in quantities needed for reclamation where ever this menace harms the crop production.
- To survey and assess the quality of ground water for irrigation purpose.
- Site specific fertilizer/amendments recommendations
- Reclamation of problem soils
- Monitoring quality inputs
- Accessing water quality and nutrient status for advisory services to farmers
Dr. Muhammad Mubashir
Address: Opposite Khan Petroleum Model Town Haroonabad Road Bahawalnagar