Most of the soils in Pakistan have been nutritionally exhausted due to continuous crop production and meager replenishment particularly in rainfed areas. Adequate supply of plant nutrients and water are vital for crop production. Low fertility of the soils has been rated as second important factor in maximization of crop yield as optimum fertilization increases the water use efficiency. It enables plant to extract soil moisture from deeper layer and its chance to get benefit from scanty precipitation during the growth cycle also increases. Soil testing is practiced in nearly all parts of the world as it is the single reliable method for diagnosing the soil problems affecting the yield of crop in an area. It is a rapid and less expensive method for evaluation of fertility status of soil and for recommendation of optimum fertilizer rates for economic crop production.
To provide soil, water and fertilizer analysis facilities to the farmer community.
- To assess the fertility status of soils in the tract with the help of suitable laboratory techniques.
- To suggest measure for the economic crop production through soil testing advisory service.
- To control the salinity and alkalinity menace where ever it threatens good crop production by the use of amendments in quantities needed for reclamation.
- To survey the status of micro elements and explore measures to cope with their deficiency or toxicity.
- To analyze water for its suitability for irrigation purpose,
- To analyze fertilizer and gypsum samples for their purity
A. Advisory Services
- Site specific fertilizer/amendments recommendations.
- Reclamation of problem soils.
- Monitoring quality inputs.
- Improving (FUE) and Productivity through (IPNS).
- Accessing water quality and nutrient status for advisory services to farmers.
B. Anti-adulteration Campaign under Fertilizer Control Order, 1973
- Analysis of sample in the labs collected by the DOA / DDOA Agri. (Extension).
- Analysis of samples in compliance with re-analysis directions of Additional Secretary (TF) in appeal cases.
Dr. Obaid ur Rehman
Lab Address: Soil and Water Testing Lab for Research, Data Ganj Bakhsh Road off Murree Road, Rawalpindi