Following are the research activities of the institute:
- Development of high yielding, early maturing, fine and coarse rice varieties carrying biotic (BLB) and abiotic (salinity and submergence) resistant genes with good cooking quality suitable for irrigated and DSR.
- Exploiting heterosis for yield and income enhancement of rice farmers.
- Development of rice production through resource saving, eco-friendly technologies and striving for farming excellence on sustainable basis.
- Integrated weed, pest and disease management in rice.
- Study/ monitor responses of lines/ varieties against different insect pests and diseases.
- Maximization of crop and water productivity through improved water saving techniques and management interventions
- Evaluation of quality features of rice grains.