Plant Physiology Section was established in 1962, currently working under the Directorate of Agronomy, Ayub Agricultural Research Institute, Faisalabad on various physiological aspects of plants, weed management, production technology development of various medicinal plants and climate change. It has a well-established and equipped seed testing and analytical Laboratory with modern instruments/equipment and for data recording facilities it has a meteorological observatory.
- To study the physiological basis of yield improvement of major field crops
- To quantify detrimental effects of stresses i.e. water, salt and temperature on physiological processes and ultimately economic yield of major field crops
- Screening of genotypes of major field crops against different stresses
- Induction of stress tolerance in field crops by management practices and applying growth hormones
- To study physiological disorders in field crops due to environmental and nutritional stresses
- Screening of herbicides for efficient weed control and to study their phyto-toxicity on field crops, vegetables, gardens and lawns
- Study of biology of weeds
- To develop production technology for medicinal plants and spices
- Collection of data for different meteorological parameters
Following are the research activities of the section:
- Screening of various genotypes of Wheat, Rice, Sugarcane, Maize, Cotton, Canola and other crops against abiotic stresses
- Assessing the adaptability and feasibility of medicinal crops and their production technology development i.e. Quinoa, Stevia, Fennel, Psyllium, Nigella, Carom, Tulsi and Linseed etc.
- Screening & evaluation of herbicides for various crops and giving recommendation being member of technical committee
- Member expert committee for renewal and registration of pesticides companies
- Meteorological data recording and distribution to scientists/institutes
- Physiological data recording and biochemical analysis of plant samples for various studies at Plant Physiology Laboratory.
Following are the achievements of this section
- Approval of two varieties of medicinal plants named Stevia “Honey” and Tulsi “FS-21”
- It has an analytical Laboratory and for data recording facilities
- Almost 4000 physiological analysis for different crops were performed during 2022-23