Millets Research Station Rawalpindi is working on the genetic improvement sorghum and pearl millet crops. The idea of this station at present location was to enhance the production of Sorghum and Pearl Millet crop through high yielding varieties and modern crop production technology in rain fed areas of Punjab. Millets Research Station is the only spot under high rainfall areas of the Province engaged for the genetic improvement of the said crops. Moreover, the station has pivotal position having access to the national organizations and varied ecological zones of Barani tract.
Millets Research Station, Rawalpindi was established in 1976 under the administrative control of Maize & Millets Research Institute, Yusafwala (Sahiwal).The post of Associate Millet Botanist was made as drawing and disbursing officer (DDO) during the financial year 2002-2003.
- Collection and maintenance of pearl millet germplasm for high grain and fodder yield.
- Evolution of high yielding and well adapted pearl millet variety under rain fed condition.
- Testing of promising lines of sorghum and pearl millet under rain fed condition.
- Formulation of crop production technology for the farmers of Barani areas.
- Development of high yielding grain and dry stalk Pearl Millet varieties through hybridization for the Barani areas.
- To transfer the production technology of sorghum and pearl millet through on-farm testing and other audio – video links.
- Maintenance of pearl millet germplasm.
- Breeding for the development of dual purpose pearl millet cultivars under rain fed conditions.
- Conduction of national/varietal yield trials of sorghum and pearl millet crops under rain fed conditions.
- Demonstration of crop production technology of sorghum and pearl millet crops through on farm testing.
- To provide information regarding sorghum and pearl millet crops through radio talks, farmer field day and other audio/ visual aids.