Name of the Project
Introduction and Adaptation of High Value Crops and Fruits in Climatic Conditions of Punjab
Acquisition of promising cultivars of Avocado, Chiku, Nectarine/peaches, Pistachio, Berries, Passion fruit, Mangosteen, Fig and Grapes and their evaluation for adaptability, fruit yield and quality.
To promote diversified, climate resilient agricultural production systems in the changing environmental scenario for sustainable livelihood earnings.
Technical Assistance and Capacity Building of orchard growers in fruit production.
To promote fruit crop production for increased economic returns.
To ensure the regular availability of fruits for nutrition, industrial and medicinal use.
To explore the export potential of high value fruits for increased national income. In initial three years of the project, maximum available varieties (up to 6 best exotic varieties of each fruit plant) of these fruits will be imported / procured. Fifty platns of each fruit of different varieties will be imported in each of the first three years and will be evaluated at BARI, Chakwal.
2015-16 To 2019-20
Allocation in 2019-20
- Establishment of fruit quality and disease diagnostic labs
- Import of promising cultivars of Avocado, Chiku, Nectarine/peaches, Pistachio, Berries, Passion fruit, Mangosteen, Fig and Grapes for adaptability, fruit yield and quality
- Characterization of imported fruit plants regarding different parameters on plant growth and disease incidence, fruit yield and quality
- Fruit quality analysis and promotional activities
- Identification of promising varieties/high value crops will provide valid basis for crop diversification and climate resilience in Pothwar.