|Duration||2015-16 To 2019-20|
|Total Cost||34.565 Million|
|Allocation in 2019-20||Rs.3.467 Million|
- Acquisition of promising cultivars of Avocado, Chiku, Nectarine/peaches, Pistachio, Berries, Passion fruit, Mangosteen, Fig and Grapes and their evaluation for adaptability, fruit yield and quality.
- To promote diversified, climate resilient agricultural production systems in the changing environmental scenario for sustainable livelihood earnings.
- Technical Assistance and Capacity Building of orchard growers in fruit production.
- To promote fruit crop production for increased economic returns.
- To ensure the regular availability of fruits for nutrition, industrial and medicinal use.
- To explore the export potential of high value fruits for increased national income. In initial three years of the project, maximum available varieties (up to 6 best exotic varieties of each fruit plant) of these fruits will be imported / procured. Fifty platns of each fruit of different varieties will be imported in each of the first three years and will be evaluated at BARI, Chakwal.
- Establishment of fruit quality and disease diagnostic labs
- Import of promising cultivars of Avocado, Chiku, Nectarine/peaches, Pistachio, Berries, Passion fruit, Mangosteen, Fig and Grapes for adaptability, fruit yield and quality
- Characterization of imported fruit plants regarding different parameters on plant growth and disease incidence, fruit yield and quality
- Fruit quality analysis and promotional activities
- Identification of promising varieties/high value crops will provide valid basis for crop diversification and climate resilience in Pothwar.
Muhammad Azeem Tariq
Barani Agricultural Research Institute, Chakwal