- On-Going Projects
- Establishment of Foundation Seed Cell to Strengthen the Seed Production Facilities at Research Institute of Punjab
Establishment of Foundation Seed Cell to Strengthen the Seed Production Facilities at Research Institute of Punjab
||2020-21 to 2023-24
|Allocation for 2020-21
||145.965 Million Rs
- Strengthening of early generation seed production facilities at Institutes of Research Wing of Agriculture Department.
- Production and supply of pre-basic seed to public/private seed companies.
- To train private seed companies for quality seed production.
- Core staff including 20 Scientists and 37 supporting staff etc. are required
- 267 acres land for seed multiplication is available with research wing
- The seed cell will act as coordinating body between Research Institutes and Punjab seed corporation/ Private sector
Overall targets of project
- Increase in pre-basic seed availability leading to availability of certified seed for 50% area of major and minor crops like pulses, fodders, vegetables etc .
Targets for 2020-21
- 200000 kg pre-basic seed will be produced
Types and No of Beneficiaries
- Seed sector ( Punjab seed Corporation & Private Companies) Ultimately farming community
Expected impact after completion of the project
- Replacement of old and obsolete crop varieties with new varieties in shorter time period.
- Leading to Increase in Crop production and farmers profitability